I have decided to set myself several objectives and goals to strive to complete whilst undertaking the MA Creative Practice course. I feel by setting myself targets now, I will be able to look back upon these at various stages allowing myself to reflect on my studies, my practice and self-development whilst enabling myself to meet the set learning objectives.
I have chosen to undertake a study of the Fashion and Beauty industries, in an aim to understand how and why Magazines and Social Media within the Fashion and Beauty Industries affects our sense of body image and self-perception.
Therefore my objectives and goals can be found below:
- To understand the ways in which Social Media and Magazines can affect self-perceptions and issues:
A) With body image (Females, 18-24)/With body image on a cross-cultural scale (Females, 18-24; Tokyo, Japan).
B)I am to speak with both Vogue UK and Vogue Japan, and aim to carry out questionnaire’s or interviews with at least 10 females from both the UK and Japan, in order to gain quantifiable data.
- To understand policies and guidelines within the Fashion and Beauty Industries currently encouraging positive body image.
- To work with and interview those both actively working in the Fashion and Beauty Industries, and those on a consumer/follower/user basis, to compare behaviours and perspectives in relation to body image and self-perceptions.
- To prototype a range of design work targeted at 18-24 year old women, highlighting impacts of Social Media and Magazines on self-perceptions and body image, for example:
A) Critical Design led Instagram posts
B) Social media wellbeing campaign
C) Promotional posters and packs
D) Zines and publications
- To derive a National or International Policy for use within the Fashion and Beauty Industries, based on collated research, interviews and experiences throughout this project.
These are the objectives that I will continue to work towards throughout this project.