Further Postcard Development and Mockups

This is working towards objective 4.C.

2016-10-20-16.26.30_resized.jpg.jpg

I decided to further develop the single postcards into a perforated postcard book, whereby the cards can either be used as prints on a wall for example or shared and sent amongst friends and family for instance, sharing the message on how the beauty and fashion industries affect our sense of self-perception and body image, whilst also attracting engagement and interaction from the user in the same way that on social media one would tag a friend in a post which may be of interest or relevance to them too.

I plan on producing mockups of these to test the functionality, binding, perforation and stock.

Below shows the process of producing the prototypes.

  1. I have used my Silhouette Cameo die-cutting software and tools to produce perforated postcards. Below shows the setting up and drawing out of the A6 cards with 1cm bleed – solid lines are cut lines, dashed are perforated. I really enjoy using this process as is methodical and very accurate, allowing for the books to look professional but at a low-cost of production. The outer covers of the books have also been drawn to ensure that the cover fits accurately and conceals the spine.

screen-shot-2016-10-20-at-21-18-51

screen-shot-2016-10-20-at-21-18-35

screen-shot-2016-10-20-at-21-18-31

2. Below shows the paper on the cutting mat, which has been inserted into the Silhouette Cameo allowing for a blade to cut the paper. I find die-cutting a better way of cutting paper than laser-cutting as it does not burn nor leave marks on white paper in particular. The only thing to consider is that the blade is sharp and new to ensure that no pulls are made when the paper is on quite a fast cutting setting.

20161020_191038

3. Below shows the cut edges and perforated tops of the landscape postcards. These have not been cut out to scale, and have been simply cut to test which orientation works best when bound together in regards to aesthetics and sturdiness. The excess paper has been removed below also to show the cards which are all exactly the same size.

20161020_193752

20161020_193823

4. The next step is the perfect binding of the books. To do this I have used glue strips, and my Therm-A-Bind machine. The strips as shown below are placed down the spine, covering the inner pages protecting them from curling from heat and glue. Once heated for a minute, the glue binds to the spine and then cools solid. It is important at this step to ensure the pages are all inline and secure with no fallouts, as well as ensuring that no glue has seeped between the edges, which ensures for a professional finish. After this, the excess glue strip and backing is cut off leaving a simply bound book. I found that the portrait book had less pages and therefore didn’t finish as neatly, or ‘perfectly’ as I’d of liked in comparison to the landscape book. This is something in the future I would improve on and include 20 pages opposed to 15.

20161020_200042

20161020_200106

20161020_201129

20161020_201146

5. The outer cover is cut and then wrapped and securely glued at the edge, leaving room for a fold line at the 1cm bleed in order to ensure the cover folds up and allows the perforated postcards to be removed individually. This is shown below.

20161020_201750

20161020_202349

20161020_202412

20161020_202423

20161020_202433

20161020_2024120

20161020_202910

Overall I am really happy with these perforated books, and think the next step is to produce a mockup including full colour postcards.

At this stage, I realised once I looked at the prototypes above and that I now needed 20 postcards, I need to develop more. These are shown below – an expansion of previous designs keeping inline with concept, aesthetics, theme and idea.

postcards-2-14

postcards-2-13

postcards-2-12

postcards-2-15

postcards-2-16

postcards-2-17

postcards-2-18

postcards-2-06

postcards-2-08

postcards-2-09

postcards-2-10

postcards-2-11

postcards-2-02

postcards-2-04