East Meets West: A Sourcebook of Beauty Trends – Book Developments

20170313_195303_1489434863756_resized

Below shows a range of developments of the sourcebook created for this module. A various range of books have been printed and bound using different paper stocks and binding methods. I found that each had different pros and cons as noted below.

20170313_194314_1489434941645_resized

The above have been printed using laser printing on 110gsm paper stock and have been stapled to bind. I found that this would be perfect for a zine, being quick and cheap to produce being very cost effective to produce in mass, however do not give a ‘book’ finish. The print was very good quality and found that the colours really popped on the page and left no ‘lines’ as found with other print experiments shown below.

20170313_194333_1489434939477_resized

Above shows the staple binding leaving a crisp finish, whilst below shows the high print quality on the inner pages.

20170313_194351_1489434937270_resized

20170313_194417_1489434935042_resized

Above shows another book produced using laser print, however a 135gsm gloss stock was used, opposed to a matte finish as shown above. I really love the quality of the print, as it gives a glossy finish mimicking that of a magazine. I also found the colours to be much more vivid on gloss stock than on matte. I found this the closest to the desired aesthetic as possible. No lines were also found on the print, however 2 pages were found to have not fully flattened layers when printed, showing an outline of a bounding box from the InDesign document. The paper stock was too thick to saddle stitch, and found that stapling was a much more suitable outcome, whilst also being easy to reproduce, however the paper stock is slightly more expensive.

20170313_194437_1489434932693_resized

20170313_194506_1489434930497_resized

Below shows a laser print copy printed on 80gsm stock. I found this to be the weakest of all the prints due to leaving lines on the pages when printed, as well as many bounding boxes to be seen, as the InDesign document didn’t embed the images properly. This was rectified on later copies. With this test print, I also found that some artwork needed amending due to being too close to the bleed line, whilst also needing to amend the alignment of some body copy and artwork, as when trimmed was too close to the paper edge, leaving an unprofessional finish. This was amended digitally prior to printing any further books/experiments. In addition, with the paper being quite thin, print on the previous side was visible, showing through.

20170313_194708_1489434925652_resized

20170313_194724_1489434921930_resized

20170313_194741_1489434919420_resized

20170313_194803_1489434916915_resized

20170313_194821_1489434913861_resized

Below shows two booklets which were saddle stitched in different techniques. I used white cotton for one, and pink for another but found that the pink was too much with the cover artwork, and also made any small errors very noticeable, whilst the white cotton allowed for a much cleaner, sleeker finish. I would of been happier with this bind had the paper not been so thin, 80gsm, again showing through print on the other side of the paper. Using an inkjet print for these two books however left a perfect print, with no bounding boxes or lines to be shown, and found this the highest quality print so far. Canvas paper was used for both covers, giving a thicker, textured cover, and contrasting matte inner pages. I found though that on occasion as shown below, show through was still visible, dampening the overall quality of the book.

20170304_155035_1489434946396_resized

20170313_194851_1489434910281_resized

20170313_194921_1489434905840_resized

20170313_194939_1489434900210_resized

20170313_194940_1489434896404_resized

20170313_194943_1489434893438_resized

20170313_194954_1489434890815_resized

20170313_195010_1489434887555_resized

20170313_195028_1489434884028_resized

20170313_195041_1489434881348_resized

20170313_195056_1489434878654_resized

Above shows one test print (pink cotton saddle stitch) whereby, the cover was printed 10% larger to allow for allowance on the edges of the paper, whilst adding a slightly different aesthetic to that of the other books produced. The print quality on this version however was the best I believe out of the experiments shown, with no show through due to using a 140gsm card stock on an ink jet printer, allowing for more of a ‘book’ feel and finish and a more luxury aesthetic.

20170313_195204_1489434875790_resized

20170313_195216_1489434873150_resized

20170313_195227_1489434870254_resized

20170313_195243_1489434867434_resized

You may also like